Coffee can be beneficial to your beauty routine in many ways which is why I decided to make my own DIY natural coffee scrub and also a coffee mask! From natural self-tanner to diminishing the appearance of cellulite and plumping skin, coffee has been touted with tons of benefits. I came up with these fun recipes that you guys can try so I hope you enjoy! Please keep in mind that I’m not a doctor; if you think this might cause issues for you or if you’re allergic to caffeine, it’s best to avoid and/or check with your primary care physician before considering it!
The Beauty Benefits of Coffee
- Natural Self-Tanner – Simply brew up some coffee and put it into a spray bottle. Leave on for a few minutes, then rinse. You’ll find your skin has a nice bronze afterwards.
- Antioxidants – Rich in flavonoids, coffee actually lends some great antioxidant power to your beauty routine and can help protect your skin from aging free radicals like pollution, heat, light, etc.
- Caffeine – Because the caffeine increases your circulation, it can help reduce swelling and puffiness in various areas, including underneath your eyes, resulting in a more “awake” appearance.
- Cellulite – Because coffee is a diuretic, it temporarily can pull fluid away from areas of the body. This is particularly helpful when it comes to cellulite as many coffee scrubs can temporarily smooth out and tighten up cellulite-ridden areas for a period of time.
- Soothe & Brighten – Because of it’s antioxidant content, coffee can actually help soothe redness. At the same time, it can also bring blood flow to areas of your skin and body and it’s grainy texture naturally exfoliates which helps to brighten and increase radiance in dull skin.
- Shiny, Healthy Hair – Coffee can also benefit your hair in a number of ways, especially those with darker hair colors. The deep tint of coffee can help brighten and enliven your hair color, increase it’s overall shine, stimulate hair growth thanks to it’s ability to naturally improve your circulation, AND it smells amazing. Who doesn’t want to smell like their favorite cup of java?
DIY Natural Coffee Scrub Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Organic Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Organic Ground Coffee
- 1/4 Cup Organic Plant Oil of Choice – I used organic grapeseed oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon of Ground Ginger Powder
Directions: Take a small handful of the scrub and massage in circular motions onto desired areas of the body and rinse. Avoid any sensitive areas and avoid scrubbing too hard as this may cause irritation.
DIY Natural Coffee Face Mask Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Ground Coffee
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Manuka Honey
- A little water to help incorporate/dissolve the honey with the mixture. You don’t need to use this, but I wanted the mixture to be smooth so I used some water. It’s up to you. If you don’t use water, the honey will make the mixture very sticky!
Directions: Apply a thin layer with your fingers or a face mask brush to face and neck. Let sit on your skin for 2-5 minutes or until dry. The cinnamon and ginger may cause some skin tingling. If irritation occurs, rinse off immediately.
A Few Tips on Use
Keep in mind that coffee (and tea, for that matter) will naturally dye your skin since they are so dark in color. It’s temporary and you should be able to scrub it off or wash it off with a little face or body wash if you find it to be a problem. The longer you keep the mask or scrub on for, the more deeply your skin will be naturally dyed. You can use this as a natural self-tanner (many people do), if you like, but otherwise, it can easily be removed and/or will fade in a day or so. It’s a natural side effect and shouldn’t cause any issues, but if you find that it does, please contact your doctor! I hope you guys enjoy these recipes and let me know how you like them! Alternatively, if you have your own recipes and/or methods, let me know about those too! If you are curious about using coffee as a natural self tanner, I found a cool recipe here ♥
Natural Beauty Products With Coffee You Can Try:
Have You Made Your Own Coffee Scrub or Mask?
Do You Prefer to Make Your Own Beauty Products or Buy Them?
Come Chat With Me!
*Affiliate links in post; Not all links are affiliate.