Before I begin, this is not a post to riff on all bloggers, but there are some seriously annoying things bloggers do to other bloggers that I’m sure people can relate to which I thought I would share with ya’ll today. Hell, even I’m guilty of some of these things, but I promise I’ve stopped doing it because I realize now how irritating it is. #disclaimer I like to keep it real on my blog no matter what so this post is a bit of #RealTalk today. I hope the bloggers who do this stuff can knock it off because it bugs or maybe learn some humility as it were and that we can all laugh at ourselves. If you’re not a blogger and you’re reading this, feel free to laugh with (at) us, if you like. I’m okay with that 😛
10 Annoying Things Bloggers Do to Other Bloggers
- Link Drop EVERYWHERE. This is one that a lot of people do and I don’t necessarily think it’s bad done in the right context. For instance, if someone link drops on my blog post, but says something constructive, then I’m cool with that. I don’t mind that and I do often check out people’s blogs and shops when they link them like that so long as they actually engage with my content. What bugs me is when bloggers are just like “Great!” and drop the link or when they come to my facebook page and go “Hi from @ their FB page – stopped by” or some crap. It’s the equivalent of coming to my house and putting up a sign directing people to your house. Rude. Please stop doing that shit. It bugs.
- Start Drama on Social Media. I didn’t even know this could be done, but apparently it can. These people really exist. I find it hard to start a fight with someone in real life, let alone online. I guess it’s easier for some people since they don’t have to face the people they’re attacking, but seriously. How petty can you get? At the end of the day, whatever you’re arguing about is not worth starting a fight over, let alone in front of all of your followers who, by the way, can read what you’re saying. Feel free to incriminate and defame yourself, I guess…
- Post A Million Photos of Yourself and/or Your Children. If you happen to have a mom blog or something, then fine. I’m not talking crap on you because that’s obviously your niche. The same goes for makeup bloggers who do makeup looks (I do them too), swatches, etc. I’m talking about the people who sit there and post a thousand photos, all at once, on social media so that my feed becomes one big long line of their face or something. Pace them out, people. I promise I will be way more receptive to a photo of your family or a selfie if you space them out over time, but don’t sensory overload me. That’s too much for anyone.
- Act Like You’re Famous. You’re not, dude, and I’m sorry to be the one to tell you and bring you back down to earth, but that’s just how it goes. No matter how many followers you have or how cool you think you are, you’re just some person on the internet. Who cares? It’s so cringe-worthy to see people acting like they’re freaking Miley Cyrus online. You ain’t. Stop it. Stay humble.
- Treat People Like Crap. However awesome or ballin’ you think you might be, remember that you are no better than anyone else. Just because you have a million instagram followers doesn’t make you Jesus Christ and even he understood humility and grace. You’re just a person who got lucky or takes cool photos of your cat or whatever. Treating people with respect and kindness is the least you can do, even online.
- The Fakeness. Please stop with the fakeness! Even though it’s digital, try being a human being! After all, you are one (I think?). Try acting like it. Interact with sincerity. It will show. The fakeness can be felt, even through the internet, so try being genuine. I will follow you all over the place if I think you’re a kind, sincere person. I will even promote all your stuff. I like real people and I’m sure other people do too. Just my thought.
- No Interaction. I can’t stand when somebody blogs something or posts on social media about something they’re supposedly interested in and then never reply to my comments, especially if said comments are questions about it. It’s like, if you love that soap, can you please let me know more info? It’s so annoying to hear crickets when I legit want to know!
- Sponsored Content Is All You Do. If you think you’re hiding it well, you’re not. I can tell that your content is all sponsored ads with very little heart in it and it bugs. If you really like a product and you have the opportunity to do sponsored content, then that’s amazing. I will support that and I’m sure your sincerity will read through, but if you’re just doing it to do it (for the $$), then it shows. It’s not worth the $50 or whatever just to sell out. You will lose credibility faster than my dad’s gambling addiction. Don’t do it. Better, more suitable opportunities will come so stop acting so thirsty (desperate).
- Managing to Start A Clique On the Internet. Why? Again, I didn’t even know this was thing, but it is and it’s so weird. I often wonder if these bloggers actually know each other in real life or if they just get off on the mob mentality? It’s so strange to me and so very “high school.” Mean Girls is just a movie, kids. Get over yourselves and try kindness on for size. If not, well then, I fear for the karma coming to you.
- Not Taking Criticism with Grace. Nothing’s more annoying than someone who gets all crazy and defensive when someone disagrees with them. After all, blogging is a public forum and be prepared for people to not agree with you. I’m okay with this. If you aren’t, well then, don’t be on the internet. If I legitimately mess up somewhere, I try my best to own up to it and I think that shows a lot of strength and integrity to do so. There’s nothing wrong with owning up to your humanity.
So, what do you think? Do bloggers do these things? Am I way off base? Are you one of the offenders of any of these? What are other annoying things bloggers do? What say you? 🙂 I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic!